Name: Engineering Technician III
Req #: 400
Location: Waukesha CORP
Employment Type: Full Time
Shift: 1st Shift
Generac Power Systems - Work with the leader in the power industry! Our facility in Waukesha, WI is seeking an Engineering Technician III. The Engineering Technician III is responsible for the planning, implementation, and performance of advanced electrical, mechanical, audio, and environmental tests of current and new product designs under general supervision. Facilitates continuous improvement activities to reduce the potential for product defects. Partners with Engineering and is involved with problem identification, containment activities, action plan creation and execution. Ensures that the test requirements for product testing and processes are defined and met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Setup test equipment and products in proper sequence per testing procedures.
- Perform tests on prototypes, existing, and competitor products for stated criteria involving mechanical, electrical, environmental, and electromechanical functions through ISO 17025 and Laboratory Scope of Operations.
- Use various mechanical, electrical, and electronic measurement devices.
- Accurately interpret and document scientific notation, temperature, pressure, and other measurements.
- Fabricate and lead assembly of test equipment and prototype products per blueprint specifications.
- Develop and validate bill of materials in conjunction with Engineering team;
- Validate laboratory testing methods and demonstrate testing competence per ISO 17025 and the Laboratory Scope of Operations.
- Maintain test-related documentation in database environment.
- Analyze test data and prepare formal and informal test reports.
- Assist with the Generac Engineering Laboratory Audit and organization 5S programs.
- Update and develop policies and procedures supporting the continuous improvement of the Engineering Lab.
- Actively participate with fellow Lab team members in daily maintenance of Lab environment and preventive maintenance of Lab equipment.
- Collaborate with Engineers for planning of testing requirements.
- Recommend laboratory test equipment and facility requirements
- Mentor and train developing technicians.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Physical demands:
- High School Diploma;
- 5 years of relevant work experience.
- UL, CSA, ASE certification;
- ISO training;
- Proficiency in welding, shaping sheet metal, mill or turning (dependent on lab location).
- Experience managing projects or participating in project teams;
- Experience using specialized equipment such as engine dynamometers;
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Able to work non-standard or extended work hours when necessary;
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Excel and Word;
- Manage and participate in projects;
- Interpret blueprint and electrical schematics;
- Demonstrate self-motivation;
- Lead and complete projects within guidelines;
- Work effectively in a fast-pace, team environment;
- Communicate effectively though written and oral means;
- Demonstrate aptitude to coordinator multiple projects simultaneously;
- Understand and apply advanced electrical techniques and theories;
- Demonstrate testing competence as required per ISO 17025 and the Laboratory Scope of Operations;
- Demonstrate understanding of quality concepts, continuous improvement, statistical techniques, and preventative/corrective actions;
- Provide own basic set of tools.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand. The employee frequently is required to use hands to manipulate objects, tools or controls; and talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to walk; stoop; crouch; bend and reach above shoulders. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds unassisted and up to 100 pounds with assistance, waist high, up to 10 feet away. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to differentiate colors.. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be working in the typical conditions of a manufacturing environment including seasonal variation in temperatures and occasional exposure to manufacturing fumes or by-products. The employee must comply with the assigned location PPE requirements including but not limited to safety glasses, hearing protection, appropriate gloves, clothing and shields for required tasks and closed toed or safety shoes as required by facility safety policies.